The Iridium Series IONi is a pre-workout supplement by premium brand, Performix.
Claimed to promote:
- Energy levels
- Increased mental function
We’ve put together information about the company and product, to help you make your own decision about this pre-workout.
About the Company
Perfomix is a premium supplements brand that aims to provide products that boost your mental function as well as sports performance.
However, all of their supplements are highly priced, with many containing proprietary blends – the Iridium Series IONi is no exception.
The Ingredients and How They Work
The Iridium Series IONi has a very large nutrient profile, but the ingredients are all hidden inside 2 proprietary blends.
This means that numerous ingredients used in this product are all put under the same value – you don’t know how much you’re getting of each individual ingredient, or whether it is effectively dosed.
It’s a lack of transparency on Perfomix’s part – and could mean you’re not getting enough of what you need.
It’s one of the most expensive products of its kind in the market, but is it worth the big price tag?
Take a look for yourself:
Sustained Muscular Endurance Blend (Proprietary Blend)
- Beta Alanine: This ingredient has been shown to enhance muscular endurance, with people reporting increases in strength.
- However, it comes with the risk of a side effect called paresthesia, where you’ll suffer from a tingling or prickling sensation. This is due to pressure or damage caused to your peripheral nerves.
- L-Citrulline Di-Malate: This is a great nutrient to have in a pre-workout. L-Citrulline converts to L-arginine in your kidneys, meaning that it’ll give you a muscle pump during your workout.
- You should look for this ingredient on your search for a quality pre-workout.
- Betaine Anhydrous: This hasn’t been proven to provide any benefits in a pre-workout. It’s used for treating depression and obesity among other things.
- However, it comes with potential side effects like increasing your cholesterol level. They could have replaced this with creatine monohydrate, which has been shown to improve your strength in the gym.
- Theacrine: This is structurally similar to caffeine which could be used as a stimulant. But evidence suggests that it’s less tolerated than caffeine, meaning it could cause side effects from a lower dose.
- As it’s in a proprietary blend, you’ll never know what dosage of Theacrine is in Iridium Series IONi, meaning you could be at risk of such side effects as jitters, irritability.
- Bitter Orange Extract: Bitter Orange is a plant that is used to create medicine. It’s been included in many supplements since the FDA banned ephedra in 2004 as a “safer” alternative.
- However, it comes with the risk of life-threatening side effects such as high blood pressure, fainting, heart attack and stroke in healthy adults. There isn’t any evidence to prove that it’s safer than ephedra at all.
- We strongly recommend you to stay away from this ingredient and look for a pre-workout without Bitter Orange Extract included.
- Black Pepper Extract: This is a very useful ingredient to include in a supplement. It increases the absorption rate of other nutrients to provide you with all the possible benefits.
- Rauwolscine: This is structurally similar to Yohimbine and could provide you with similar benefits. It’s been suggested that it could aid in fat-burning. This would be useful in a fat burner, but does it make sense to have in a pre-workout?
- There’s also potential side effects – as it’s similar to Yohimbine (but more potent), it comes with the increased risk of the same side effects, which include seizure, cardiac arrhythmia, anxiety and hot flashes.
- You should stay away from this ingredient on your search for a quality pre-workout.
– Highest Rated Pre Workouts Here –
Perpetual mTOR Muscular Growth Matrix (Proprietary Blend)
- Glycine: This is an amino acid and neurotransmitter. It’s been shown to slightly reduce fatigue, but it’s more commonly known for improving sleep quality (clearly, this isn’t something that would help boost your performance during your workouts).
- You would have benefitted more if Performix replaced Glycine with L-Carnitine, which has been proven to reduce fatigue, reduce muscle damage, and increase blood flow in your body to give you a muscle pump.
- Leucine: This is often referred to as the ‘main amino acid’ as it induces muscle protein synthesis which encourages muscle growth. This is the best benefit of BCAAs, so taking this on its own can be just as beneficial.
- You can’t deny that Leucine is a great nutrient, but it would serve you better in a post-workout supplement rather than a pre-workout.
- Creatine: A great addition to a pre-workout product. It’s been proven to increase strength, muscle mass, fat loss, recovery and sports performance. It definitely helps make a quality pre-workout supplement.
- However, it’s part of the proprietary blend so you don’t know how much creatine is in Iridium Series IONi – there could be a minimal amount, meaning you’d be digesting less beneficial ingredients and experiencing less results in the gym.
- Ashwaganda: This is a herb used traditionally to treat anxiety, insomnia, and stress-induced depression. This won’t boost your performance in the gym, and again, this ingredient could be taking up most of the space in this proprietary blend.
- L-Tyrosine: This is an amino acid used to produce noradrenaline and dopamine. However, this comes with the risk of severe side effects
- L-Tyrosine could raise thyroid hormone production, anxiety, heart palpitations and arrhythmia. The risks far outweigh the benefits of this ingredient, and we strongly recommend that you avoid L-Tyrosine on your search for a quality pre-workout.
- Caffeine: A powerful stimulant most commonly found in coffee, energy drinks or tea, Caffeine’s been proven to improve physical strength and endurance.
- However, an overdose can cause jitters and irritability – it’s part of the proprietary blend, so you never know the quantity in it. You should stay away from this product if you’re sensitive to caffeine, and look for a pre-workout that gives you the exact dosage of caffeine inside.
- Citicoline: This is a brain chemical that occurs naturally – it’s a great ingredient that helps boost your mental function. However, you don’t need this in a pre-workout.
- If you’re looking for a quality nootropic, then this ingredient is what you want in it, but it could be taking up space that more beneficial nutrients could be taking up in this proprietary blend.
Performix have been very ambitious in pricing this pre-workout very high. Its ingredient list proves that it’s not worth the price tag, or risking any side effects.
Check out which ingredients work and which don’t in our
– Pre workout ingredients guide –
There are some ingredients with some worrying potential side effects in this pre-workout, such as Bitter Orange Extract, Rauwolscine, Beta Alanine and L-Tyronsine.
For the high-price of the Iridium Series IONi, you’d expect to be provided with a product that is completely safe.
The potential side effects of this pre-workout are:
- Tingling or prickling sensation
- Jitters and irritability
- High blood pressure
- Hot flashes
- Heart Palpitations
- Heart arrhythmia
Not what you’re looking for? See your best options in our
– Top 3 Pre Workout Page –
Pro’s and Con’s
- A few great ingredients like L-Citrulline Di Malate, Creatine, and Caffeine included in this pre-workout.
- Very expensive
- Poor value for money
- Made up of 2 proprietary blends – you don’t know the exact dosages of each ingredient
- Potential severe side effects
Iridium Series IONi Review Conclusion
For what you’re expected to pay for this pre-workout, it’s nowhere near the quality it should be. You should know the exact dosages of each ingredient you are digesting to stay safe and know you’re not wasting your money on a non-effective product.
The potential side effects should be enough to put you off this product – we suggest that you search for a pre-workout with less risky ingredients (definitely stay away from Bitter Orange Extract) and at a far more reasonable price.